Madness, MADNESS I tell you.
Between being unable to use my router planing sled to post process the 9 cutting boards (that were supposed to be five, but I got all Wilsony about it), trying to remediate my C++ code, fixing my fridge, cleaning my kitchen and livingroom, doing laundry and…erm… okay I ran out…
I’ve been pulling my hair out!
Working on Cygwin I’ve been fixing all (yes all) of my old C++ code. It’s a slog. The goal is to bring it from “Scott Meyers first edition” to “Bjarne Stroustrup, 4th edition” over time.
I have MyLib (not what it’s called.) I use it all over the place, including in “mycgilib.” The mycgilib.a compiles fine and the mycgilib_test compiles and runs wonderfully.
HOWEVER, when I link mycgilib and mylib in a 3rd executable, the linker complains that mycgilib can’t find methods in mylib. It was amazingly frustrating.
I’ll spare you the gory details. But it turns out you have to include the dependent library on the right. The linker won’t just take the list of libraries and try to sort out the dependency graph. It goes right to left. Who knew? (hush.)
Then there’s the cutting board saga. More about that when I have pictures to share. My intention was to have 5 done at the end of last week. I ended up with enough material for more than a dozen, though I stopped starting them at 9. Problem is, I was using a 2″ surface cutter on my router to plane the boards. That’s all well and good when you’re working with edge grain. It sails through it like shit through a goose. So I played fast and loose with the dimensions, figuring I’d hog material off the final end grain boards using the same method. After all, a 2″ carbide blade bit cruising at 13,000 rpms can REALLY plow through some material.
UNTIL I tried it. I fixed the board to my funky router glue-up sled/table thingie and went at it. I got about 4″ into the cut when there was a BANG and the router shot out of my hands and hit me in the chest. Scared the crap out of me.
I tried backing off on the depth of cut. Even back to 1/64″ it was banging against the endgrain something awful. And the finish was a disaster. It was pulling the fibers of the maple apart like rubbing your hand across the top of a paintbrush, meaning that I would have to sand for what seems like days in order to grind the thing down to pristine wood.
I’m not doing that.
What I need is a drum sander.
What I need is THIS drum sander (or, something I make that’s close to that) so that I can safely sand material off of a board.
In the future I have to be a lot more judicious about the final lengths of my laminations.
There is another possibility that’s on the way. A fly cutter for a milling machine (which has the same 1/2″ shank size as my router.) That might just do the trick of cutting rather than rubbing the tool against the work, which is what’s really required to cut the thing. The surfacing tool had far too much cutter engagement.
So we’ll see.
Anyway that was today. Time to get Xerces going with my xmlrpc library.